Looking east along Broadway (now Hwy 111) | Cobb's Grocery & the Post Office are on the left. (Click on any of these images in this header to see the whole photo and scroll through them.)
Looking east along Broadway (now Hwy 111) from Glenn Ave | The street is beginning to fill in.
Looking east along Broadway (now Hwy 111) from 2nd St. | By 1951, cafes and diners, motels and cottages to-let, a drugstore and various businesses have been added in the 20 years since 1931. The highway is now four lanes, better paved and has curbs, sidewalks and some landscaping
Looking east along Hwy 111 in 2020.
Then & Now
DeLux Trailer Park - 1939
First trailer park in Cathedral City. Palm-frond roofs provided shade from the hot, desert sun.
A new amphitheater is currently under construction behind the City Hall Plaza, at the corner of Cathedral Canyon and Ave. Lalo Guerrero.
Real Estate Office - 1920s
George Allen Real Estate - first Real Estate office in town. Corner of Broadway (Hwy 111) and Cathedral Canyon Dr.
Totem Pole Cafe - 1940s
Rebuilt as a cafe and local meeting place, it was the first diner in town. The owners Mr. & Mrs. E.J, Wheeler are pictured in the early 1940s.
Taco Bell - 2020
Now, a Taco Bell sits on this corner.
Sun Haven Court
Broadway (Hwy 111)
& Date Palm Dr.
Sun Haven Court, owned by Mr. & Mrs. Paul Clark, was at the corner of Broadway/Hwy 111 (2-lane road) & Date Palm. The Clarks founded the Cathedral Citizen, our first newspaper, in 1951.
Agua Caliente Casino
Hwy 111 & Date Palm
Today, this intersection is a large and busy one. The new casino is being built where Sun Haven Court once stood. Quite a difference,
Photography of current-day Cathedral City
by Beverly Beirne